Wednesday 17 November 2010

Day 2: looking at frequent verbs and nouns

Since my Slovianski vocabulary is pretty much near zero, I think I'll take a look at some words in the dictionary to familiarize myself with them, as well as their declination. I'll use this English frequency list as a base, but will stick with either nouns, verbs, or adjectives.

First is to be and that's easy, biti. Conjugates in the present as jesem, jesi, je, jesmo, jeste, sut.

Next is have, and that's imeti. I have is ja imam.

Next is to say...govoriti, among others including kazati (ja kažu) which I remember from the bit of Bulgarian I learned before. I'll stick with govoriti for the time being:

ja govorim, ti govoriš, on/ona/ono govori, mi govorimo, vi govorite, oni govorijut.

The word for that is čo so Ja govorim čo... is I say that...

Next is look - gledeti. Present tense 1st person singular is ja gledu. I see a related word in the dictionary: to say disregarding one says ne gleduč na... (accusative).

Next is like, and we'll go with the verb. l'ubiti/льубити. That one's easy. So let's get to the next one:

go - hoditi, idti. Second one is irregular, and I go is ja idu and I went is ja šel.

know - znati.

get - lots of results for this one, as one might expect. The first is dobivati. I see the word for livestock is dobitok and I wonder if that's related (like how the English word fee is related to cattle).

Next up is can and could, which is mogti, as in Bulgarian and feels like German (and English might) too. Here we note that because the stem is mog- (ends with a consonant) the g becomes ž if an e follows, so you can would be ti možeš.

Next is ask, which is prositi. Right below we also see sprošivati for ask (a question), and some other related words: please is prosim, question is vopros, request is prosba, require is also prositi. Interesting note for prositi and other verbs with an i-stem: for 3rd person plural you can go with -et instead of -ijut, so "they ask" would be oni proset.

And now our first noun: time. Time is čas, raz, or vremeno, and the first two are masculine while the last is neuter. Let's decline vremeno for the...dative plural. vremenam! I have time would be ja imam vremeno. Not sure if it implies free time as the English word does though..

Next is eye, and I remember that being irregular. oko. Plural was the irregular oči.

Next one isn't a noun, verb or adjective but I'm curious so let's check: now is tutčas. Ah, this+time. That one's easy.

Next up is think, which is mneti. Present tense 1st person singular is ja mnim. This word resembles German a bit too so easy to remember. Some related words are opinion (mnenje, like German Meinung), undoubtedly (nesumnenno), and believe (mnevati), as in to have an opinion about something.

Next is see and that's easy - videti, ja vidim.

Next word is hand. That's ruka. My hands would be moje ruki. And "with my hands" would then be moje rukami. On my hands, moje rukah, to my hands, moje rukam.

Next word is head, and it's glova. My head would then be moja glova, of my head moja glovi, to my head moja glove, on my head moja glove.

Next verb is turn, which not surprisingly has a lot of entries. First is obročati. Hm, that one won't be easy to remember.

Next up is come, which is prihoditi. Since go is hoditi and a lot of other verbs with motion have hoditi in them this one's easy. Go around is obhoditi, go away is odhoditi, precede is predhoditi and so on. Great.

Smile is usmeh, and to smile is usmehati se. I remember the Bulgarian word here for laughter (smyah) so not too hard. It turns out the Slovianski word for laughter is also nearly the same, smeh. To mock is vismehati.

The next word is way (or road), which is droga.

Next up is face: obliče.

And finally (at #100 now), the word for right. As a noun that's pravo. Human (l'udski) rights would then be... l'udske prava. And...yes! l'udske prava looks to be exactly the same as Slovak as it turns up a lot of results for that.

That's enough for this morning. I might write another post tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment